Citrus Cutting Techniques
Citrus Fun Facts
- An orange tree blooms while also bearing fruit.
- It takes 5-7 years for an orange tree to start to produce good, edible fruit.
- There is more fiber in an orange than in most other fruits and veggies.
- All oranges contain something called "carotene" this is what gives them their orange color.
- Roll a room temperature lemon on the counter a few times to maximize the amount of juice.
- Why is citrus green sometimes? The Florida night temperatures are warm, which causes more chlorophyll to migrate to the peel. Remember the fruit is still ripe and sweet despite their color. Remember Green is Beautiful!
- How did these varieties get their names?
- Navel - a Navel Orange develops a second orange at the base of the fruit. From the outside, it looks like a navel.
- Honeybell - The Honeybell has a bell shaped end and are as sweet as honey.